The International Reading Association recently released a document entitled “Literacy Implementation Guidance for the ELA Common Core State Standards” (here). The document was created to contend with “confusion” and “conflicting messages” governing the implementation of the CCSS. Among the recommendations:
- Early, systematic, and explicit teaching of the foundational reading skills is required.
- Engage students in reading high-quality texts closely and critically.
- Guide students to apply strategies when reading particularly challenging texts.
- Provide opportunities for students to write in response to reading across the curriculum.
- Involve content area teachers in teaching the disciplinary literacy Standards.