At the district’s February 6th Blue Friday, Implementation Specialists could attend a session to overview the Core Knowledge materials and a second session on specific Core Knowledge implementation successes and challenges. Both sessions included opportunities to clarify misconceptions including the following:
- There is no district mandate to use the CK materials. Sites that are interested in using the resource can opt into inservice classes, download all the materials completely free of charge in the CK section of www.63000resources.com, and attend specific CTiP sessions that take the CK materials through the Plan-Do-Study-Act cycle.
- The Core Knowledge Listening and Learning strand is only one component of strong literacy instruction. It does not supplant the need to teach foundational skills in the elementary grades.
- The Core Knowledge Listening and Learning Strand is a read aloud.
- The Core Knowledge Listening and Learning Strand covers many of our state’s Nevada Academic Content Standards in ELA and Social Studies; but not all of them.
- The Core Knowledge Listening and Learning Strand is not a program. Teachers are encouraged to enhance the lessons with engagement strategies and varied pedagogical approaches.
Overview Session PowerPoint (fixed link)
Reflection Session PowerPoint (fixed link)